Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Secret Pall 11!

I've officially joined the SP 11 and boy am I excited! I'm always pumped when it comes to cool things that I can participate in as an international knitter. It promises to be loads of fun and without futher ado, here's my questionaire:

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

**My fave yarns to knit with would be anything that's drapey and cool and very yummy since I live in the tropics. I have lots of KP Shine/ Cotlin already. I'm loving the Cascade Pima Tencel that I'm using to knit my current project with. I absolutely detest acrylics but would LOVE to get my hands on some Rowan Calmer as it's a mix and I'm told is a dream to knit with. Oooh and the seasilk I knit with lately was delicious also.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

**Right now they occupy the top broken drawer of the plastic bin that currently houses my yarn.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

**I've been knitting for many years now off an on, and it has only been fairly recently (as in the last year or so) that I've come to understand what it means to knit. Here in Barbados, you get one kind of yarn. Bulky 4 ply acrylic that's really not suitable for such a hot country. When the urge would hit me to knit, I would go to town and resign myself to buying some of this stuff, start a project with any old needles and then toss it to the side because it wasn't what I wanted it to be. Then, I did some research and understood the needle/ yarn connection, found some great yarns online and I haven't stopped since. I think it was my mother who taught me to knit and purl to keep me occupied during the summer. She would go buy me some acrylic and some dpns and off I would go. I taught myself the reset. I would consider myself intermediate/advanced as I can knit intricate lace, cables etc, but I'm still in the dark on fair isle/ intarsia.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

**No

5. What's your favorite scent?

**That's a hard one. I like vanilla and cinnamon scents... right now I am loving the pear scented lotion that my husband got me for our anniversary. Basically, anything that's not too strong and overwhelming...

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

**Ah yes... Lindt Lindor truffles... not the dark kind though. Anything in white chocolate. YUMMMMMMM......

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

**No, I do not spin. I am in to cake decorating... you know with fondant and making the sugar flowers. I haven't done it in a while but am thinking of starting back again. It's almost as time consuming with all the little accessories to buy as knitting is!

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

**I like alternative, soft rock, modern gospel (ex Switchfoot) and some of those indie songs you hear on the cast on podcast. My pc can play mp3s.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?

**Recently, I've been leaning closer to lighter shades as my hubby says I look great in lighter colours. I do not like neon bright colours, hot pinks, yellows etc. I like pastel-ly shades.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

**I am married and have two children. One boy (4) and one girl (3). We are looking to expand our family with a small dog.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

**No, too hot for here in Barbados. I've actually started a scarf for when I travel overseas, but it's not like I travel regularly or even when I travel, it may not be when it's cold.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

** Another tough one... I have a strange relationship with shawls... I love to start them but when they reach the point where they have like 300 or so stitches, I really slow down... but I love the end result. I also like nice tanks and a cardigan or two.

13. What are you knitting right now?

**Currently on the needles is the Drop-Stitch Lace Tank by Stephanie Japel.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

**I totally depends on what the gift is.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

** Definitely circular needles. In aluminum. I have some bamboos but the yarn doesn't really slide along as nicely as I would like on them.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

**I have a winder but no swift!

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

** Hmmmm, over six months I believe. Poor thing.

18. What is your favorite holiday?

**Christmas

19. Is there anything that you collect?

** I love beautiful boxes... could be small like for jewelery or can be bigger to hold important knick knacks.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

**Hmmm... lessee... I would love to get my hands on some Rowan Calmer, some Jaggerspun Zephyr DK, Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece, and some Rowan 4 Ply Cotton. Books wise... I wouldn't mind seeing what's in Knitting Lingerie Style. Needles wise, I would like to try the Lantern Moon needles one day. I used to be with Interweave, but they took so long in sending out my subscription that I cancelled them.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

**I would like to learn fair isle and instaria.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

** I knit socks off and on (more off than on). My foot is a size 7.5

23. When is your birthday?

** August 18

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?

**Yes, I'm on there as KnittyKitty


That's me in a nutshell! I can't wait to get my SP 11 Pal!

No comments: