Monday, November 26, 2007

Swallowtail pics et al






Hi all... taking a few minutes to post a pic of the ST. I have one pic that I think is halfway decent but that's of the shawl unblocked. I should prolly retake the pic of it blocked so it will look better but really... I doubt anyone cares. I can't envision myself taking pics like b r o o k l y n t w e e d so there's really no point (can you tell I'm in one of those moods? It might have something to do with the fact that I've recently had a big fight with someone that should have known better, broke my favourite mug, got stopped by the po-po for not paying my road tax and had to pay for a new licence for hubby - all on ONE DAY mind you - not to mention I had a b*tch of a headache last night - so I'm a little sour/ dour/ pissed etc etc). Anyways, ST is finished and that's the most important thing knitwise right now. See pics above.

Also attached is a pic of the source of my headache last night. That thing on the plate my friends is a conkie. Conkies are "highly nutritious steamed pudding-like cornmeal treat that exist throughout Africa, the Caribbean, South America and Pacific countries where most of the ingredients are grown in abundance and constitute a large part of everyday cooking and nutrition." Conkies are a national treat traditionally made in November around our Independence Day - November 30 btw. They are made of gratered pumkin, coconut, sweet potato, egg, milk, raisins, shortening, margarine, injun corn, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and some cornmeal and its DARN delicious (did I just say darn? Yes, I did... kinda maxed out the naughty words I could say this weekend). The mixture is placed on a 8x8 square of banana leaf (that was previously cleaned and swinged on the fire). They are then stacked in a pot on top of the criss crossed ribs of the banana leaf and a little water and steamed for an hour. And then... voila! A little piece of Bajan heaven! Took long to do cause I had to go searching for the leaves (hubby but you get the idea) and prepare the ingredients BUT I got loads of help from my mother-in-law who's really REALLY good at these kinds of things.

Anyways, I'm going to wash the day away, then grab that same conkie up there with a cup of coffee, my module 7 and Heroes and settle in for some eating, drinking, revision and some time travel. Later!

No comments: